In this post I describe how you can shake off negative moods.
The first step is to understand what a mood actually is. It’s not a feeling or an emotion but a subtle change in Bodymind energy which can be sensed both by yourself and by others around you.
For example, a self-pitying mood could manifest as a heavy, oppressive, melancholy kind of energy.
While a fun-seeking mood could be light, bubbly and playful.
The second step is to raise Awareness. Of who you are and what you are doing in the moment. Of your emotions, feelings and moods. You can’t change a mood that you don’t know you have. In some cases you can shake off a bad mood just by becoming aware of it and focusing your attention on something else.
Which brings us to the third method, which is actually the simplest one to use: listening to music. If your mood is down, put on something uplifting. If your mood is bitter, put on something sad. If you are panicky, put on something with a big beat! And so on.
The fourth way is to eliminate the cause of your moods, which reflect your relationship to yourself, to other people, or to life.
- If your relationship to yourself is judgmental your mood is likely to be edgy, tense, strung-out.
- If your relationship to other people is hostile your mood is likely to be prickly and ‘ready-to-blow’.
- If your relationship to life is defeatist your mood is likely to be depressed.
In each case the answer is to change the attitude.
- Instead of passing harsh judgments on yourself, focus on your achievements.
- Instead of attacking people, empathise with them
- Instead of giving up on life find new things to do or a new way to live.
The fifth solution is to get rid of your Personality. You only need to use this one if you find that the same mood keeps coming up, again and again. For example, if you are continually despondent, agitated, or bitter and you have been that way for a while then you have become trapped by false personality.
Image by nyki_m